Arab Food - Zurbian Recipe
We found this recipe in our archives - time to revisit it again and try it at home. We love to share all kinds of information about Arab culture - delicious food included!
If you have any recipes you would like to share with us please do get in touch.
Zurbian is a traditional dish from Yemen, popular amongst families and at festive celebrations such as Eid and weddings.
Ingredients (serves 4)
900g of basmati rice – 2 kilos of lamb on the bone- 1 large onion
4 potatoes – 1 whole garlic – 3 sticks of cinnamon – 6 cardamoms
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper- 1 teaspoon of cumin
juice of 1 whole lemon- cooking oil
1. First wash the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear and leave excess water to drain
2. Heat some oil in a deep pan and add finely chopped onions
3. Add the lamb which should be in fairly large pieces
4. Mix until they begin to change colour
5. Chop the whole garlic into tiny pieces and add it to the mix
6. Using a pestle and mortar break the cinnamon and cardamoms and add it to the pan
7. Pour boiling water into the pan (approx 6 mug fulls) and add 1 teaspoon of salt
8. Allow all ingredients to cook for approximately 2 hours on a very low heat with a lid on
9. When the meat has been cooking for 1 hour chop the potatoes into large chunks and add to the pan
10. After the 2 hours gently add the rice to the mix and cover the pan
11. Continue to cook on a very low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed (approximately 10 minutes)